Sunday, November 22, 2015

Dominican Republic, Take 2


This Thanksgiving break, I made the decision to return to San Juan, Dominican Republic. One year ago I traveled outside of the United States for the first time and completed my first medical mission. Being away from home is never easy an especially when all of the family is together. Luckily, the Dominican Republic makes is worth it. 
This week is filled with memories and experiences to life a last time. I have only been in the DR for two days and it has already been so exciting. We got into Santo Domingo Saturday around 3:00pm. As part of our trip, we spend the first night at a hotel and then leave from their in the morning for the clinic. While in San Juan, we stay at Solid Rock International. Solid Rock is such an amazing place with the most heart-warming people. It was so great to get here and see everyone from last year. Today, after we got to Solid Rock, we had a quick orientation and lunch. Our week involves visiting barrios, or neighborhoods, and seeing patients. We get the opportunity to work with patients and staff, so we help prepare for the day by packing bags of medicine and items most frequently needed while out and about. 

One of my favorite things to see is the town. In the DR, they do not cerebrate Thanksgiving so they start decorating for Christmas early. They paint everything every year. It is amazing how much detail is put into it all. 

Being back in San Juan, makes me feel at home because such great people and an amazing city surround me. I'm so thankful for this amazing opportunity to travel here and work with Solid Rock. 

4 comments:

  1. Courtney- I think it is incredibly awesome you will be spending some of your Thanksgiving break in the Dominican Republic. Sacrificing your time to help others in need really speaks to your character. Enjoy your time and take lots of pictures! I can’t wait to hear all about your trip when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney -

    It sounds like you are already having an awesome experience in the Dominican Republic. It's amazing how other countries are different from us and don't celebrate Thanksgiving. It already looks like you are having a blast on the trip. I can't wait to hear more about it and see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Courtney - Sounds to me like someone is enjoying their trip thus far. I know for a fact you were hyped up about this trip for some time and it warms my heart to hear it is going swimmingly so far. I cannot wait for you to get back and tell me all the stories. I might actually end up hearing them from Dr. North first because as you know I am currently in her International Projects class. Anyways, it is great to hear the trip is going great and I hope it continues to be just as swell. Travel back safe.. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Courtney - Sounds to me like someone is enjoying their trip thus far. I know for a fact you were hyped up about this trip for some time and it warms my heart to hear it is going swimmingly so far. I cannot wait for you to get back and tell me all the stories. I might actually end up hearing them from Dr. North first because as you know I am currently in her International Projects class. Anyways, it is great to hear the trip is going great and I hope it continues to be just as swell. Travel back safe.. XOXO

    ReplyDelete